Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What I'm Up to in D.C.

Greetings all,

As many of you may know, I've begun National Right to Life Committee's summer academy in Washington, D.C. This is a six-week program on all things life issues; abortion, euthanasia, and stem cell research.  The intent of the program is to equip young people with in depth knowledge of pro-life issues to become more effective in discussing the issues and changing culture!

As of now, I am in my third week and am on an information overload! Class consists of lectures and practicum sessions five days a week, 10am - 6pm...so it's a boot camp of sorts! In week one, we covered euthanasia and physician assisted suicide, in week two we studied the dangers of healthcare rationing, examined healthcare systems around the world, and learned why America can afford higher healthcare costs.  This week we are examining the intricacies of Obamacare and today our group (ten ladies) went to the Leadership Institute to hear a few lectures on effective campus and grassroots organizing.  The practicums we have every day are either mock lobbying sessions or a speech on the day's topic.  The program directors act as legislators that need to be informed on the issue, while in speeches they critique our content and form.  Good stuff.

Class takes up a ton of time and energy, but I've still had a blast exploring D.C. with the ladies in the program.  Thus far, highlights include celebrating the Fourth in D.C and watching the fireworks above the Washington Monument, (I felt pretty darn American!) touring the monuments (my favorites were the Korean War Memorial & WWII Memorial) and exploring the area around my George Washington dorm.  I've also had a bunch of visitors--my good friend Viviana came to visit over the Fourth and my uncle was here last week so I got to meet up with him and his two kids for an evening and take pictures in front of all of the beautiful buildings...including that big white one ;)

That's all for now folks, but I'm going to post more detailed info on what I'm learning in class. 
Take care until then!
xoxo

PS-- When I'm at NRLC's office, my cell phone doesn't get reception, so I apologize if I don't answer calls or texts promptly.  The best time to reach me is before 10 a.m. or after 7 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment